Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Layaly? More like, Lay All Your Food on Me.

 
I’ve always had this infatuation for Mediterranean food. Maybe it’s because when I try and make
anything like it – I fail. Or just say, “That place down the street makes it so well, so why should I try?” That place, being Layaly, where I choose to indulge in a variety of Mediterranean yummies.

Having eaten here multiple times, I’ll have to talk about my favorite ‘go-to’ items.

Beautiful, right?
First and foremost, let me say, BABA GHANOUJ. Probably the best I’ve had in the city to date. It has no bitter background left over from is eggplant origin but you can still taste it’s prominence. It’s a starter for me every time. They serve it with copious amounts of pita to scoop up every last smear of it on your plate.

Choosing an entrée is always difficult. I’m torn between what I know I love and what I want to try. Ultimate favorite is the Ahi salad. The tuna is lightly seared and served perfectly rare over a delicious green salad. It’s so fresh and tastes exactly how I imagine Greece to taste, okay, maybe not exactly, but close.

Speaking of Greece – their moussaka is delicious! They warn you that it takes about 15-20 minutes to cook. But it’s for sure worth it. You get this giant plate of delicious potatoes, eggplant, spices, and cheese, and, gah! I’m drooling now.

Service is very personable and nice. They’ve started recognizing my boyfriend and me when we go in. Overall, a great atmosphere.


What I have yet to try though are their desserts. Yes that is me typing that. I’ve always been too stuffed to have anymore room. But next time I return, I’m definitely at least getting a baklava to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment